Core Class Details.
Deadline to Apply is May 27, 2022 at 4pm
The Selection Committee identifies those individuals who will use their leadership skills for the long-term benefit of the community, thus fulfilling Leadership Lancaster’s purpose of broad participation that creates stewards of a dynamic community. Selection is based upon the information provided in the application.
The criteria for selection are:
• Potential for community leadership
• Achievement of goals
• Motivation for applying
• Commitment to the Lancaster community
• Contribution to the overall strength of the class
In order to be considered for the Core Class of 2023, a fully completed application (application, commitment form, two references, and scholarship requests, if applicable) must be submitted to the Leadership Lancaster by the May 27th deadline.
All applicants who represent organizations/businesses need the full support of their employers regardless of financial support.
Applicants will receive written notification from Leadership Lancaster about their candidacy for the program by July.
Leadership Lancaster does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin.
Course requirements: attendance at all scheduled classes, active participation within the Community Action Teams and group presentation, community board observation, government observation, and an arts and culture observation.
The Core Program is an experiential learning environment. Some of the Core Class sessions may require physical activities including, but not limited to, walking distances. If you should need accommodations, or have any concerns you would like to discuss, please contact the Leadership Lancaster office at (717) 394-9393 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Every effort will be made to provide reasonable accommodations.
• Attendance at the opening retreat is mandatory. If you cannot commit to the 2-day retreat in its entirety, it is not in your best interest to apply at this time.
• No more than 2 days of excused absences are permitted. Late arrivals and/or early departures from program days could be considered absences.
• Any session absences must be approved by Leadership Lancaster.
Community Action Teams offer opportunities to practice team building, team processing, and leadership skills through the exploration of community topics. Class members will be divided into small groups to focus on a specific issue our community is facing. Team building, delegation, conflict resolution, and communication skills are exercised during this collaborative process. The process is the learning emphasis for this experience. There will be some time allotted during the class days, but there will be an additional time commitment needed outside the classroom to meet with individual small groups.
• Thursday, September 8, 2022: Opening Retreat (daytime) *
• Thursday, September 8, 2022: Community Reception (evening) *
• Friday, September 9, 2022: Opening Retreat *
• Friday, October 7, 2022: County Tour
• Friday, October 21, 2022 Health & Human Services
• Friday, November 4, 2022: Understanding Differences
• Friday, December 2, 2022 Arts & Culture
• Friday, January 6, 2023 Public Policy & Economic Development (1/13 weather makeup)
• Friday, February 3, 2023: Leadership Advantage (2/10 weather makeup)
• Friday, March 3, 2023 Public Education (3/10 weather makeup)
• Friday, April 7, 2023: Law & Justice
• Friday, April 21, 2023: CAT Presentations
• Friday, May 5, 2023: Closing Retreat
• Thursday, May 18, 2023: Graduation (evening)
Unless otherwise stated, sessions are held from 7:30am until 5:00pm
Dates and times are subject to change.
All-inclusive tuition is $2,250, and each participant is expected to personally pay at least $150.
Leadership Lancaster member program participation would not be possible without the support of our sponsors and fundraising efforts as tuition fees do not cover the full cost of the program.
Full tuition is due prior to Friday, August 26, 2022.
No applicant accepted into the program will be turned away for financial reasons. Payment plans may be arranged, and tuition assistance is available based upon need.
Leadership Lancaster has a Scholarship Fund and can offer a limited number of partial scholarships for those participants who may require financial assistance. We also offer two full scholarships for diverse candidates from underrepresented communities through the Truist endowment.
To apply for a scholarship, complete the online form. No requests for scholarship/financial assistance will be considered without this form completed by application deadline.
Tuition assistance will be considered only after the applicant is selected, and your request for financial assistance in no way influences the selection process.